Punjab Shehri Awas Yojana 2017: Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh has made a huge announcement. He started a new housing scheme ” Punjab Shehri Awas Yojana 2017 ” for SC, BC, LIG, MIG, EWS urban families. The SC, BC category people will get free houses under this awas yojana if they matches the norms of this scheme. House is the prime requirement for human being apart from Food and Clothing. Having a Own House in lifetime is a dream which is cherished by both rich and poor alike. Punjab Shehri Awas Yojana is a housing for all schme introduced by Government of Punjab under Department of Housing and Urban Development. The policy shall be applicable in the urban areas of the State of Punjab and will include the following categories of beneficiaries
Free housing to eligible Beneficiaries
- Houseless Scheduled Caste & Backward Class families with an Annual Income less than Rs.3 lacs in Phase – 1 & with an Annual Income less that Rs. 5 lacs in Phase – 2.
Subsidized housing to eligible beneficiaries
- Slum Dwellers.
- Other urban poor having annual income from all sources less that Rs.3 Lacs
- Lower Income Group (LIG) familes having annual income from all sources less that Rs. 6 lacs.
- Middle Income Group (MIG) familes having annual income from all sources less that Rs. 18 lacs.
Punjab Shehri Awas Yojana 2017
There is a shortage of 18.78 million dwelling units, out if which nearly 3% are households in houseless condition and further nearly 96% belongs to the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) and Lower Income Group (LIG) households. The Socio Economic and Caste census (SECC) data with respect to State of Punjab for the year 2012 shows status of urban houseless and living in shelters as 15, 872. This data is up to the year 2012 and would require fresh survey to know the up to date exact number of beneficiaries to be covered under this policy. Punjab has recorded a total population of 2,77,04,236 persons out of which 37.49% were living in urban areas. In view of the fact that more that 50% of the State’s population is forecasted to be living in urban poor. It is proposed to cover the urban poor and lower income families through this policy.
These is housing scheme focused the urban poor. Land cost in the urban areas has been increased manifold. The private builders were charging abnormal prices and supply was limited which was again artificially increasing the cost. The rich face no problems in getting houses of their choice, but the poor cannot. Now a days economically weaker section cannot afford a decent house or flat with minimum facilities and basic infrastructure. Due to this steep rise in real estate, the low income group was unable to buy a flat of their own. Somehow very few who could buy a flat, but were shocked when they realized that they have been cheated by the private builder who constructed the flat flouting/violating building byelaws and rules of the municipal corporation.
Eligibility of the Beneficiary
- The beneficiary or his parents or spouse or dependent child should not own a house or living unit or plot for house in their name or family in the state or anywhere in India.
- Should be an adult
- Native of State of Punjab or continuously living for more that 10 years in the State of Punjab
- Should be a resident in an urban area with proof of residence & photo ID preferably be an Aadhaar Card
- Annual Household Income from all sources shall not exceed Rs. 3 lacs
- Should not have availed any benefit for construction of a house or renovation of an existing dwelling unit under any Central ir State sponsored scheme
- Aadhaar Card shall be mandatory before occupying the house.