Time and Distance – Aptitude Questions and Answers Online Test
Time and Distance aptitude questions and answers section with explanation. Practice online test for various interview, competitive and entrance exams.
1. A car started running at a speed of 30 km/hr and the speed of the car was increased by 2 km/hr at the end of every hour. Find the total distance covered by the car in the first 10 hours of the journey.
A.380 km B.390 km C.400 km D.410 km E.None of these
The total distance covered by the car in the first 10 hours = 30 + 32 + 34 + 36 + 38 + 40 + 42 + 44 + 46 + 48 = sum of 10 terms in AP whose first term is 30 and last term is 48 = 10/2 [30 + 48] = 390 km.
2. By travelling at 40 kmph, a person reaches his destination on time. He covered two-third the total distance in one-third of the total time. What speed should he maintain for the remaining distance to reach his destination on time?
A.20 kmph B.30 kmph C.25 kmph D.15 kmph E.None of these.
Let the time taken to reach the destination be 3x hours. Total distance = 40 * 3x = 120x km
He covered 2/3 * 120x = 80x km in 1/3 * 3x = x hours So, the remaining 40x km, he has to cover in 2x hours. Required speed = 40x/2x = 20 kmph.
3. Roja and Pooja start moving in the opposite directions from a pole. They are moving at the speeds of 2 km/hr and 3 km/hr respectively. After 4 hours what will be the distance between them?
A.12 km B.20 km C.24 km D.4 km E.None of these
Distance = Relative Speed * Time
= (2 + 3) * 4 = 20 km
[ They are travelling in the opposite direction, relative speed = sum of the speeds].
4. A train leaves Mumabai at 9 am at a speed of 40 kmph. After one hour, another train leaves Mumbai in the same direction as that of the first train at a speed of 50 kmph. When and at what distance from Mumbai do the two trains meet?
A.1:00pm, 220 km B.1:00pm, 200km C.2:00pm, 200 km D.2:00pm, 220 km E.None of these
When the second train leaves Mumbai the first train covers 40 * 1 = 40 km
So, the distance between first train and second train is 40 km at 10.00am
Time taken by the trains to meet = Distance / relative speed = 40 / (50 -40) = 4 hours
So, the two trains meet at 2 p.m. The two trains meet 4 * 50 = 200 km away from Mumbai.
5. Two trains of equal lengths are running at speeds of 30 kmph and 60 kmph. The two trains crossed each other in 30 seconds when travelling in opposite direction. In what time will they cross each other when travelling in the same direction?
A.90 sec B.75 sec C.85 sec D.80 sec E.None of these
Let the length of each train be x m.
(x + x) / (60 + 30)5/18 = (750 * 18) / (30 * 5) = 90 sec.
6. A train running at a speed of 36 kmph crosses an electric pole in 12 seconds. In how much time will it cross a 350 m long platform?
A.44 sec B.49 sec C.42 sec D.47 sec E.None of these
Let the length of the train be x m.
When a train crosses an electric pole, the distance covered is its own length.
So, x = 12 * 36 * 5 /18 m = 120 m.
Time taken to cross the platform = (120 +350)/ 36 * 5/18 = 47 min.
7. Excluding stoppages, the average speed of a bus is 60 km/hr and including stoppages, the average speed of the bus is 40 km/hr. For how many minutes does the bus stop per hour?
A.10 B.12.5 C.15 D.20 E.Cannot be determined
In 1hr, the bus covers 60 km without stoppages and 40 km with stoppages.
Stoppage time = time take to travel (60 – 40) km i.e 20 km at 60 km/hr.
stoppage time = 20/60 hrs = 20 min.
8. In a 1000 m race, A beats B by 50 m and B beats C by 100 m. In the same race, by how many meters does A beat C?
A.145 B.150 C.155 D.160 E.None of these
By the time A covers 1000 m, B covers (1000 – 50) = 950 m.
By the time B covers 1000 m, C covers (1000 – 100) = 900 m.
So, the ratio of speeds of A and C = 1000/950 * 1000/900 = 1000/855 So, by the time A covers 1000 m, C covers 855 m.
So in 1000 m race A beats C by 1000 – 855 = 145 m.
9. In a 1000 m race, A beats B by 200 meters or 25 seconds. Find the speed of B?
A.8 m/s B.25 m/s C.10 m/s D.15 m/s E.None of these
Since A beats B by 200 m or 25 seconds, it implies that B covers 200 m in 25 seconds.
Hence speed of B = 200/25 = 8 m/s.
10. Two persons start running simultaneously around a circular track of length 300 m from the same point at speeds of 15 km/hr and 25 km/hr. When will they meet for the first time any where on the track if they are moving in opposite directions?
A.21 sec B.24 sec C.25 sec D.27 sec E.None of these
Time taken to meet for the first time anywhere on the track
= length of the track / relative speed
= 300 / (15 + 25)5/18 = 300* 18 / 40 * 5 = 27 seconds.
Also Check: Aptitude Questions and Answers
|Areas||Averages||Ratio and Proportion|
|Simple Interest||Simple Equations||Profit and Loss|
|Problems on Numbers||LCM and HCF||Partnership|
|Time and Work||Compound Interest||Mensuration|
Be on the know,
be a winner.
Top MNC Registrations
Latest Bank Jobs
Quote of the day!
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Wishing is not enough; we must do.